Currently Magento 1 is in the phasing out process. To ensure that your store operates smoothly you must migrate it to Magento 2. We look at how the migration is done.
Steps to take before the magento 1 to magento 2 migration process
- Take a full backup of the Magento 1 store
- Make a clone of the Magento 1 store. The live store shouldn’t be used for the migration process.
- Examine the store. Keep the necessary parts and delete the remainder.
- Verify whether the current extensions, themes as well as custom code are compatible with Magento 2
- Migrate the data from the cloned database of the Magento store.
- Delete outdated as well as useless data from the database such as compared products, logs, recently viewed products and others
- Install a new copy of Magento 2 on the same hosting server where the Magento 1 store is located.
As per the official Magento documentation, migration to Magento 2 involves 4 different stages
- Theme Migration
- Extension Migration
- Customizations Migration
- Data Migration
1. Theme Migration
Magento 1 theme can’t be migrated directly to Magento 2. However, you may create a custom theme or install one of them from the Magento Marketplace.
2. Extension Migration
Magento 1 extensions will not work on Magento 2. Install the desired Magento extensions available on Magento Marketplace.
3. Customizations Migration
Mostly the custom code utilized by the Magento 1 store is compatible with Magento 2. You have to use the Code Migration Toolkit for migration purposes.
4. Data Migration
The final step is to move the Magento 1 settings and data to Magento 2. To do that you have to use the Magento 2 Data Migration Tool. With the help of the latter the entire data from the database of Magento 1 platform is migrated to the database of Magento 2 platform.
Before the installation of Data Migration Tool verify whether the version of the Magento 2 store and the Data Migration Tool are the same. Note that it is necessary to update the location of the Data Migration Tool package in the composer.json file to make it work.
The developer authentication keys have to be entered. Go to the Magento Marketplace. Sign in with the login credentials. Go to your profile and click Access Keys under My Products section.
Enter the username (public key) and password (private key). To create new keys use Create a New Access Key button.
– Configure Magento 2 Migration Tool
Before migrating any settings and data a config.xml file must be created in the relevant directory. Open config.xml in a code editor and enter the necessary code. Save the config.xml.
– Migrate Settings Using Magento 2 Data Migration Tool
You need to migrate the settings first. Navigate to the Magento 2 root directory via SSH terminal and run the necessary command which is as follows –
php bin/magento migrate:settings –reset <path to your config.xml>
Once the settings migration is over, a successful message will be displayed.
– Migrate Data Using Magento 2 Data Migration Tool
Data migration from Magento 1 platform to Magento 2 platform includes products, categories, orders, customers, wish lists, ratings, etc. To migrate data, run the following CLI command:
php bin/magento migrate:data –reset <path to your config.xml>
Once the data migration is completed a success message will be received by you.
If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to call us on +91-9560302277 or simply email us contact@magePoint.com